9 Steps to Avoid Rent Arrears
- Always run a comprehensive background check prior to offering a tenancy
- Phone prior landlords for references & specifically ask if the rent was always paid on time and in full. If the landlord was a private landlord, find out if they really owned the property.
- If a payment is missed, chase it up the very next day, no matter what.
- Nip it in the bud early, try not to get into reasons or stories. Just politely ask that the rent be paid immediately.
- Issue a 14-day notice to remedy if the rent has not been bought up to date.
- Remember, allowing your tenant to get into arrears is doing nobody a favour, including them.
- Do not hesitate to perform any of the above actions.
- Find ways to reward a great tenant
- HIRE A GOOD PROPERTY MANAGER